Thursday 31 December 2009

Now, Where Was I?

Oh yes...
Back in November I asked whether Thanksgiving and Christmas all kind of roll into one here and I think I can safely say that they both do combine into the 'Happy Holiday Season.

The festive and seasonal songs continued 24/7 on the radio and there are just so many for the radio schedulers to choose from. Most we knew, many were new to us. They'd have had even more to choose from if they included the likes of Slade, The Pogues, Wizzard, Mud and Jona Lewie but I never even heard a whisper from any of them and Christmas just isn't Christmas unless Noddy has shouted it from the rooftops. Is it?

The weekend after Thanksgiving where there had once been pumpkin patches along the roadsides, Christmas tree patches sprung up and the majority of the population were out in force selecting their trees, stringing up their lights and placing life sized nativity scenes in their front gardens.

What the hell we thought, if you can't beat them, join them! Besides, such was the chaotic scramble for trees and decorations we feared there would be nothing left if we left it to our usual weekend or so before Christmas. I also heard somewhere (someone may have told me this or I could have heard it on the radio or TV I can't remember) but apparently this year many Americans so affected by the recessaion are re-using their old decorations and displays *gasp* instead of buying new as they would normally do. That shocked me, I mean what happens to all the old and discarded ones each and every year?

So, off we all went in search of our tree and it wasn't even December yet! The criteria for our tree according to Ian: It must be big and it must be symmetrical (Engineers for you).
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Oh Christmas Tree
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment