Friday 26 November 2010

Thanksgiving Day 2010

So. Imagine having a full dress rehearsal for a British Christmas minus Father Christmas but with all the stress....that is the way I'd describe Thanksgiving Eve. Traffic at a standstill, supermarkets rammed, turkeys flying out of freezers, stroppy shoppers and everyone dreading the arrival of the 'problem' relative.

Ellie learnt even more about Thanksgiving at school this year and we even received a class video of their rendition of TheTurkey Trot....actually the Hokey Cokey cleverley disguised.  I'm only sorry I can't share it but have to respect privacy rights.  After their song each student was asked what it is that they're thankful for...lots of different answers...Ellie said she was thankful for her toys and the new ones she 'hopes' to get!  Ha!  She'd better be good then!  When we watched the video I asked if there was anything else she was thankful for.....her answer "Sausages", then she remembered something, rummaged in her school bag and presented me with this....


Ellie, I didn't just give them to you, I had to make them too....from scratch!  We no longer have a Greggs around the corner!

As for me I was pretty thankful when the Thankgiving fairy disguised as my neighbour presented me with this.....


A homemade PECAN PIE, this, by the way is the ONLY dessert that I can NEVER refuse!

Today was strange for us, we obviously new there was something seasonal going on and could feel the anticipation of everyone we know here, but the traditions of this holiday are slightly removed from us, we've all seen movies with Thanksgiving references and TV shows with Thanksgiving specials blahdy blah but this holiday to Americans is even bigger for them as Christmas is for us. 

So I did the usual clearing up and washing, the kids played and did art, Luke made an almighty mess in the playroom and they both watched Mary Poppins.  Ian strung up the outside Christmas lights (a little early for us but he's going travelling and won't be back until near on Christmas Eve) we both ate a Mince Pie each...because we felt we should do something festive!

This evening we were invited to Bruce & Sandy's for a Thanksgiving dinner to remember.  We spent time with and enjoyed the company of good friends and were treated to the finest Prime Rib Roast you have ever tasted....and maybe just another little slice of homemade Pecan Pie.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Ellie is stying true to her beloved sausage rolls!
    M x

    ReplyDelete