Monday 14 September 2009

The Sea Shipment Cometh

Remind Anyone of Anywhere?


Finally, finally all was arranged and we moved in to the house that will be our home for the next3 years....yeah I know, heard that one before but this time around they'll have to take me kicking and screaming because this family needs a little stability and routine for a while. About 3 years a while.



Day 1 of moving in and the Artic lorry (and a half) rolled up to the house. I'd like to tell you that we really don't have all that much stuff and it was the exhuberant Indian packers that managed to bulk everything out - to the extreme, but I don't think you'd believe me anyway so I won't try and blag it. So far so good, the three unloading guys were worth their weight and never (that I saw) raised an eyebrow when one of us told them to take one thing somewhere to be told by the other to take it somewhere else - we thought we had the A Team on our side

Day 2 of moving in and the Z Team arrived to unpack us, I say this because their idea of unpacking was to open boxes, unwrap the exhuberant handy work of the Indian packers and dump the contents on the floor wherever there was a spare piece of carpet...and leave it there. Much frustration! The Z team consisted of a mother and daughter who spent a great deal of their time on their phones to friends bemoaning the fact they had a 'big job on here', Grrrrr! The daughter was ill and unfit for work and didn't really do much, but wouldn't go home because that meant they'd both have to leave...and not get paid. I gave her painkillers but they didn't improve the situation and eventually at around 3.30pm they asked if we'd mind if they left. Mind? We were doing a better job ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I was very sympathetic for her plight - but should she have really come to work for the (half) day? The Mother half of the team told us that her and her husband would return the following day to finish off...It didn't happen.


If we thought we had the A team on the first day then we had the AAA team on the Saturday morning, so fast and efficient were these two Mexican guys that I never even saw them. By the time I'd got the kids up, dressed and breakfasted in the apartment and made our way over to the house at 10.00am - they were done and long gone, Ian felt he'd run a marathon trying to keep up with them. Yeah right! You're not that fit! I think he forgot to turn the air-con on!

All in all, a very similar experience to 'Moving In In India' except the lorry was much smaller and had to make several trips to and fro and there was a a very efficient team of about 1000 men!! http://madrasmater.blogspot.com/2008/10/we-have-our-stuff.html


No comments:

Post a Comment