Monday 26 October 2009

Pardon? How Much?

Not alot seems to run smoothly in our lives does it?!

A week or so ago I took a short trip back to England for a few days. I had a new nephew to meet and a good friends Hen weekend to celebrate.

A few days before I left Ian, who had been diligently watching the air fare prices announced he'd booked my ticket and handed me all the confirmation paperwork for my trip. Raleigh Durham - Newark - Birmingham and back. I was all set.

On departure day I was all packed and ready, we picked up Luke from nursery and headed to the airport. I went to check-in and presented my ticket and documents and the girl at the desk starting tapping away at her computer. She tapped and she tapped whilst all those checking in around me came and went. I began to have that sinking feeling.

Me: 'Is there a problem?'
Girl: 'Well, err hmmm, let me call the helpdesk..... Well, the good news is there is a seat held for you but it doesn't seem to have been paid for.'
Me: 'I have this confirmation with a booking reference, surely I couldn't have that if it hasn't been paid for?'
Girl: 'Well technically yes, but let me call the helpdesk again and also speak to my supervisor.'
Me: (thinking calm thoughts) 'I'll call my husband to see if he knows what could have happened.'

Meanwhile at the desk next door a brassy type of woman is also checking in and telling anyone who will listen that she has had to postpone this trip of hers to Europe because her daughter "Darn well went and got the Swine Flu"....but she's not contagious anymore apparently. From the looks from everyone around us it was obvious we were all having the same thought - Yes, BUT YOU MIGHT BE! She checked in and all the staff reached for the hand sanitiser and aerosol sprayed the air around themselves!!

Girl: 'If you want to catch this flight you are going to have to pay today's fare.'
Me: 'Which is how much?'
Girl: $1800
Me: 'HOW MUCH?'
Girl: 'Plus taxes, booking fee and if you pay by credit card there's a surcharge. You have 5 minutes to make a decision and then check-in for this flight will close. If you take the next flight you won't make your connection.'

I call Ian again and again, who is calling and trying to make sense of the travel agent. Eventually I get him and he says to 'just book it and go.' I do. And then I run. I have 5 minutes before the flight goes and oh s*** I'd forgotten about going through security and get stuck behind some moron who is arguing about the fact he has to take his shoes and jumper off - PLEASE! Just take the stuff off and let's get moving. By this time all I can here is "This is the final call for Emma Wilson, FINAL CALL".

But I made it...just. I boarded to the disdainful looks of my fellow passengers and I just wanted to shout "It's not my fault". Thankfully I sink into my seat, close my eyes and take a few deep breaths....and then I hear her... "I had to postpone this trip because my daughter darn well went and got swine flu". On and on she went all the way to New York as the people around her shifted uncomfortably in their seats. I'm thinking.... Just. Shut. Up. Because if you don't there will be alot of people sticking needles in an effigy of you if they get as much as a sore throat.

We land in New York and I call Ian to find out what's happened...turns out that the travel agent he used doesn't accept credit card payments for international travel - have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous? And did they think to call and tell him that...of course they didn't because that would have been too much like customer service. So my $700 fare finally equated to $1980.

I board my Birmingham bound flight to find that my very expensive seat is over the wing and doesn't recline....yeah, nothing quite like a night time Trans-Atlantic flight with NO. SLEEP. Then I hear her..."I had to postpone this trip because...blaady blah....daughter....blah blah... Swine flu". Shame you can't carry needles on a flight these days.

On the plus side I had forgotten just how easy travelling without children can be...I read a book, watched 2 3/4 films and didn't get a wink of sleep - the most expensive night without sleep I've ever had.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Emma, you are a scream. Always love to read about your mishaps and adventures. Hope you enjoyed your child free holiday and stocked up on some essentials while you were home in the UK. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning. Sniff Sniff I have I sore throat. Or should that be OINK OINK.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly lady!! I can't believe that they let you on the flight in the first place ... and then made you pay such a high price for their stupidity!

    I'd be irked ... very, very irked!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry. :(
    A similiar thing happened to me on my first househunting trip to Chennai. I got to Chicago - about 3 hours from our house - and found out that the paper I was carrying wasn't actually a ticket, just some sort of receipt. Ha ha. Caterpillar had booked the ticket but never confirmed it, so there was no ticket. Make sense? After about 2 hours of phone calls to my husband (who was already in India), we finally got a booked ticket.
    I really do hate using travel agents for those very reasons.
    Better luck next time,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep living...and I keep learning!!

    ReplyDelete