Thursday 20 August 2009

School Uniform Shopping

...another education!

Ellie starts school this week so one afternoon last week we made a trip to the 'approved outfitters' to purchase her school uniform.

Luke was thankfully drowsy in his pushchair and we were greeted by an ever so helpful assistant who told me she would be the one to assist us in our quest. We told her the school, she got her list, glanced down it and said that the very first thing Ellie would need was a 'Jumper' and off she waltzes. Hmmmm...I'm thinking...the temperatures here are in the 80's-90's for quite a while yet and a 'jumper' would not be the first thing I'd think of buying just yet, but then she presents me with what I'd call a Pinafore dress!

Me: Oh yes, we'd like a couple of those but I thought we needed a Jumper too?
Girl: This is a Jumper
Me: Is it?!! Now, I'd call that a Pinafore Dress - OK whatever, we'll have 1 plain and one tartan.
Girl: Tartan? What's tartan?
Me: It's the check like fabric.
Girl: We call that Plaid.
Me: What's next?
Girl: Skorts, skirts or shorts?
Me: What's a Skort?
Girl: Shorts that look like a skirt, very good for the active jump around type of girl - protects their modesty.
- We both take one look at Ellie rolling around under a clothes carousel with her legs in the air -
Me: We'll take 2 pairs please!

Add to that list 2 blouses to go under the 'Jumper', 3 polo shirts and a pricey pair of shoes and in the blink of an eye we've racked up about $350 worth of stuff...and I didn't even bother yet with the cold weather 'Jumper' I was thinking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment