Friday 13 November 2009

The Boy Speaks...and drops me in it!

Luke is almost 2 and a half now. Unlike his sister he has been a little man of few words. I've worried. I've beaten myself up over the fact that he has been in too many different countries, with too many different languages and accents during his speech forming years and that it may have set him back.

This very week things changed. All of a sudden his one or two words together became three, four and even five. He has begun to 'chat' and I was loving and really enjoying his increased interaction and clapping my hands with joy...OK so he says 'Yes' like Sean Connery, has begun to say Uh Huh just like Elvis ALOT and on occasion calls me 'Mommy' but he's talking more, not allowing his sister to do it for him and I was...loving it.

Then something happened. We had to get some shopping. The aforementioned Ida storm was battering us. The kids were in the trolley in the shop car park as I packed the car. I'd asked Ellie to hold my purse whilst I put Luke in the car. A gust of wind took her and the trolley careering down the car park, so it was no wonder she dropped my purse in the circumstances.

We got home. I parked the car in the garage. Looked around me for everything and asked Ellie for my purse. Only she didn't have it anymore. We searched the car and as my panic rose I realised it was probably in the trolley...in the car park...in the torrential rain... with my money...my cards...my ID...my driving licence. And wouldn't you just know it - Ian is OUT OF TOWN. He left just the day before for England and then India for like weeks. Why do things like this always happen when you're (I'm) on you're own?

I rang the shop, explained the situation, that I knew where my purse was and if someone could just go and retrieve it for me I would be back in 5 minutes to collect it. The 'customer service' girl on the phone said...and these were her exact words 'It's raining real hard out there so I don't thaink anyone can go and see for ya'. What? Never seen or been in rain? You do dry out eventually you know. It would also explain the fact that on the very day you could do with and need 'help to your car' no-one is around and offering at the checkout like they usually are. Yep rain trumps tips!

I wasn't at my calmest for several obvious reasons as I drove back out of the garage to go back to the car park in the hope my purse was still there and as I pulled out I scraped my brand new, never had one, car. The noise was horrendous and I just wanted to cry...even Ellie buttoned up and was quiet for a few minutes. "Will Daddy be cross with you?" she eventaully asked.

In virtual unheard of silence we drove back to the store (did i just say store?!) In the torrential rain I found our trolley and there lying in the foot well was my sopping wet purse. Hallelujah something had gone right!

Later, much later the kids and I are eating dinner and Daddy phones. Luke is his chair with ants in his pants...'Daddy? Daddy?' I hand him the phone - he's 2 and a half and doesn't talk much remember and never on the phone...

"Heyo Daddy Mummy scraped car."

No comments:

Post a Comment