Wednesday 3 March 2010

7516 Miles

To this very day and hour that is exactly how many miles I have driven since taking delivery of my car, give or take a few days, 4 months ago in October.

To put this into some sort of perspective when I was a SAHM in England my average annual mileage topped a whopping 4000 miles, that included dashes here there and everywhere countrywide to visit friends and relatives and the odd holiday or two. The reason it was so low; because I could and did walk everywhere that I possibly could in my hometown, there were many days, even weeks when my car never left the driveway.


Now (and this is frightening) of all those 7516 motored miles none of them include any wild and wonderful road trips, oh no, they are completely made up from school runs, grocery shopping runs and all the driving around in circles that I find myself doing. Almost. All. Of. The. Time.

Even if you wanted to walk anywhere here you can't, it's just not set up for that. People only walk for excercise and dress accordingly so there is no doubt as to what is it they are doing. A few weeks ago we were sat at some traffic lights and Ellie piped up,
"Oh wow, there's something you don't see everyday!"
While I was laughing at the tone of her observation I realised that she was actually pointing to a family who were WALKING and actually risking life and limb CROSSING THE ROAD! I have to say, that she was completely right...that is not something that you see here everyday...comprendez?

So the upshot of all this driving is? Well let me just ask... "Does my bum look big in this car?"

No comments:

Post a Comment